Monday, November 12, 2012

Airicka Phoenix & Touching Eternity

Hi all!
Please join me in welcoming Airicka Phoenix and her book Touching Eternity:

Tell me a bit about yourself:
My name is Airicka Phoenix. I’m the mother of four. I write Young Adult Paranormal Romance. I’m an advocator of chocolate, shoes and books (not necessarily in that order). I’m a closet nail biter and have a strong hatred for any red foods. I’m a night owl and may or may not be addicted to Facebook. I love bad jokes, hot chocolate and shiny things.


What type of genre do you write?
Paranormal Romance (YA)


What genre to you personally read?
Anything Young Adult (Paranormal is a bonus) but always romance.


Tell me about your latest book Touching Eternity and the two main characters Amalie & Isaiah:
I have to answer this one by insisting that Touching Smoke must be read first in order for Touching Eternity to be understood.

Touching Eternity is the story of Amalie. She was the foundation on which Fallon was created. It was her love for Isaiah that condemned her to what happens in Touching Smoke.

Amalie is Garrison’s daughter and a prisoner. She has never been outside gates of her home. She is never allowed to meet another living soul. Her entire life has been a series of tests, each one more barbaric than the last, because Amalie is crazy, or so she’s told. Because Amalie sees things, impossible things. When she meets eight-year-old Isaiah, he’s there to replace her as Garrison’s heir. Their childhood friendships blossom into a love neither of them ever dreamed of. But their fates change when Isaiah leaves and Amalie’s life becomes a nightmare of torture.

Isaiah was an orphan scrounging through trash for his next meal when Garrison found him and brought him home. He was given every comfort a child with nothing could ever want, except the girl he loves. Amalie is off limits. He isn’t allowed to want her. She’s crazy, he’s told. But he has never wanted anyone, loved any one half as much as he loves the girl with red hair and sad blue eyes. When Isaiah returns after deciding his love was hurting Amalie more than helping her, Amalie is a broken shell of the girl he’d left behind and he swears he will do everything in his power to protect her, to take her away from the cruel clutches of her father, even if he owes Garrison his life.


Where is your book available?
At this time, only <a href=” http://www.amazon.com/Touching-Smoke-Touch-Series-ebook/dp/B008RB72NW”>Touching Smoke</a> is available both in eBook & <a href=” http://www.lulu.com/shop/airicka-phoenix/touching-smoke/paperback/product-20475073.html”>Paperback</a>. Touching Eternity will be released Dec 20, 2012.


Where you live and one thing you love about it
I live in British Columbia, Canada and it’s hard to pick one thing that I love when I love everything, but I think I love how green everything is. It’s very beautiful here.


Website:


What sparked your passion for books and the art of a good story?
I had to write a short story for 3rd grade. We had to use pictures to describe what was happening and put words underneath. I rewrote Beauty and the Beast. I never stopped writing ever since. But more than that, my passion came from my mom always making up stories. She never read me a book, but would spend hours telling me stories of adventure and danger and romance.


Is there a particular book that changed or affected your life in a big way?
No, not a book. But my mother’s stories are the ones I remember with absolute clarity.


What was the seed of inspiration for your latest book?
I was actually working on The Hunter Series, which will be released spring, 2013 and there’s a part where Clara is fighting a demon when she thinks she sees vapours from the corner of her eyes. That’s all it took for Amalie to waltz into my mind and refuse to be ignored.


Is there a message in your book that you want readers to grasp?
That you’re never alone. That you can always change things. That giving up is never an option and never should be. You’re strong.


What challenges have you faced in your writing career?
Finding time for family, work, writing and promoting.


What has been your best moment as a writer?
Meeting and helping new authors.

Who is your author idol?
Stephen King.

Do you see yourself in any of your characters?
I do with Fallon. She shares my stubbornness, my sarcasm. But with Amalie, she’s my polar opposite, but I think she possesses my ability to hold a grudge. Lol.


Do you feel like your dream has come true or is there much more to do?
Oh I think there is still so much still left to go, but every day I seem to get a little closer, so…


What is your personal cure for procrastination?
My husband. He’s always berating me about goofing around. Get that book done, Airicka. Stop Facebooking! That chapter won’t write itself. If he’s not around, it’s my conscience, which has his voice. LMAO.


What does your workspace look like?
I have everything within reaching distance. To some, it may seem cluttered and disorganized, but I know where everything is.


Have you ever had a day when you just wanted to quit?
Never! I am so anti-quitting. I don’t believe in it at all. That word doesn’t exist to me.


What do you do when you’re not writing?
I crawl into whatever adventure my kids are having. They have the most incredible imaginations and I just love playing whatever game they’re playing. Or I’m reading.


What are the most important attributes to remaining sane as a writer?
Let your characters run the show. They’ll drive you nuts if you don’t and usually, in my case anyway, they’re always right.


What was the greatest thing you learned at school?
That there is a whole world after it, bigger and better than what we’re taught.


Did you have a moment when you realised you were meant to be a writer
LOL. No! That moment has not yet come. I’m still wondering every day if this was the good idea or not.


What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
The greatest crime you could ever committee against yourself is to quit on your dreams.


After this book, what is next?
I have several short stories coming out, but I will also be releasing The Hunter Series. So you will meet Clara and Darius and their adventures into the world of monsters, demons and forbidden kisses.

Thank you so much for having me visit your blog. I had so much fun meeting you and your lovely readers. I hope we can do it again! <3


Please thank Airicka Phoenix for joining us and wish her well on her new book!



No comments:

Post a Comment