Saturday, November 3, 2012

K.F. Johnson author interview

Hi all!
Please help me welcome K.F. Johnson to my blog. She has been a hard working author and has agreed to share her time with us. Below is the cover to her latest book and some interesting information you may not have already known about her.




Tell me a bit about yourself: I am a mother, a mate, an extrovert, a writer, a reader, and an adventure seeker. If it’s fun or exciting…I’ll probably try it.

What type of genre do you write? Fiction. It’s been classified as Urban/African American Life, but personally, I think it’s relatable to more than just those who are ethnically correlated to those genres and thus I’ve gained many fans of other ethnicities as well. It also includes a lot of suspense and mystery. A all in one novel!

What genre to you personally read? I read many genre’s. True crime/Mystery/Urban Life/General Fiction/Horror/Chick-Lit and Suspense.

Tell me about your latest? Behind Closed Doors is about 2 manipulative siblings, their chaotic, dysfunctional, and promiscuous relationships, the dark family secrets that are revealed after their father’s untimely death and the dangerous consequences they all face.

Where is your book available? Amazon.com, Barnes & Nobles, some local Atlanta bookstores and on various online bookstore sites.

Where do you live and one thing you love about it? I live in Atlanta. I am a native New Yorker, but I’ve lived here since I graduated college and I love the freedom I feel to achieve here. It’s less expensive, more friendly and I feel like it’s a good place to raise my children.


What sparked your passion for books and the art of a good story? I always loved reading and drama as a child, but being on punishment frequently as a child often the option to read as my only resort. It’s a case of turning lemons to lemonade and now I not only love to read, but to write as well.

Is there a particular book that changed or affected your life in a big way? The Coldest Winter Ever, by Sistah Souljah. I loved the book, but the author was also a rapper in my teenage years. Discovering how talented of a writer she was in addition to being a rapper, and reading that she self-published inspired me to tap into my talent and self-publish as well.

What was the seed of inspiration for your latest book? I’ve been writing this book for almost a decade, but the inspiration was a vivid imagination that included characteristics of myself and people I know or heard about. I needed an outlet for my creativity since I’m no longer pursuing acting, and writing was the key!

Is there a message in your book that you want readers to grasp? The message should be that karma is only one lie away. There are always consequences when you deceive, but how and when you pay them, is never in your control.

What challenges have you faced in your writing career? The typical obstacles of being a new author/publisher I think. Multiple editing revisions, marketing challenges, learning the etiquette of the author world. I’ve also learned that my privacy is now in jeopardy if I want to become successful. I’m taking that with a grain of salt.

What has been your best moment as a writer? My most exciting moment was the day I published my book and told family and friends. The great response I got, along with the responses from strangers was amazing, and far more than I expected. It confirmed that this is what I should be doing.

Who is your author idol? Tie between Stephen King and Omar Tyree

Do you see yourself in any of your characters? I see a lot of Brenda’s ignorance and delusions as I was in my early 20’s.

Do you feel like your dream has come true or is there much more to do? This is only a stepping stone to my dreams. I want to be an accomplished author of many books and to eventually have them turned into television or big screen movies.

What is your personal cure for procrastination? Thinking about the legacy I will leave behind and the fact that time waits for no one.

What does your workspace look like? Messy! I need a bigger space and to be better organized.

Have you ever had a day when you just wanted to quit? I’ve had days when I’ve been frustrated, and years when I’ve had writer’s block, but I knew that I’d finish eventually.

What do you do when you’re not writing? Spend time with my family, socializing with friends and family and watch lots of television.

What are the most important attributes to remaining sane as a writer? Remembering why you write, having a great support base, and not letting the nay sayers get into your head.

What was the greatest thing you learned at school? How to articulate and communicate my intentions and my thoughts.

Did you have a moment when you realized you were meant to be a writer? I won a New York State poetry contest in the 6th grade and that’s when I realized I might have a talent.

What advice would you give to aspiring authors? Always have a couple or more people whose opinions as readers you trust, reading your drafts. If they aren’t hounding you for more…you might want to go back to the drawing board.

After this book, what is next? I’m working on a sequel now by reader demand. I anticipate it being released in 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment