Saturday, November 10, 2012

Dorothy Dreyer Author Interview!

Hello all!
Please help me welcome with wonderfully talented Dorothy Dreyer!
She is a very interesting person and has a great wealth of knowledge to be shared with us all. Check out my interview with her below:

Tell me a bit about yourself:

I’ve been married almost 19 years, have a teen daughter and a preteen son, and I’m living abroad in Germany. In addition to writing, I currently work as an English teacher at a nursery school.

What type of genre do you write?

I write young adult paranormal/urban fantasy. With, like, a touch of horror.

What genre to you personally read?

Mostly young adult, but not necessarily paranormal. Dystopian is great too, and I’ve read a couple great contemporaries as well. As for adult books, they really need to be page-turners so I don’t give up on them.

Tell me about your book.


Here’s the blurb from the back of the book:

Sixteen-year-old Zadie’s first mistake was telling the boy she liked she could bring her dead sister back to life. Her second mistake was actually doing it.

When Zadie accidentally messes with the Reaper’s Rite that should have claimed her sister Mara, things go horribly wrong. Mara isn’t the same anymore—Zadie isn’t even sure she’s completely human. To top it off, a Reaper is determined to collect Mara's soul. Now Zadie must figure out how to defeat her sister’s Reaper or let Mara die … this time for good.

Where is your book available?


And it should be available for pre-order from Amazon early next year.
It’s also on Goodreads, so be sure to mark it to-read! http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13597733-my-sister-s-reaper

Where you live and one thing you love about it.

Germany can be very beautiful. Love all the cool castles and old churches.

Website: My official site is http://www.dorothydreyer.com/
And my Facebook Fan Page is http://www.facebook.com/AuthorDorothyDreyer
You can also find me on twitter at http://www.twitter.com/DorothyDreyer

What sparked your passion for books and the art of a good story?

I’ve loved telling stories ever since I was young. I used to draw pictures of some random girl, then make up a story about her. This evolved into a passion for not only writing stories but reading them.

Is there a particular book that changed or affected your life in a big way?

Harry Potter, for sure. The way the world accepted this “children’s book” and the way it became such a huge pop culture phenomenon gave me hope that telling stories directed at younger people was a goal worth reaching for.

What was the seed of inspiration for your latest book?

I get all my “seeds” in the shower, lol. It started with me thinking about what someone would do if they accidentally brought someone back to life. It pretty much took off after that.

Is there a message in your book that you want readers to grasp?

I don’t like preachy books, so no. But I do hope it gives readers some chills.

What challenges have you faced in your writing career?

Well, my first three books were turned down by many agencies. But I’ve got a thicker skin now, and I think I’m a much better writer for it.

What has been your best moment as a writer?

Signing my two-book contract for sure! But I guess when my book actually releases, that will be my favourite writer-ly moment. ;)

Who is your author idol?

So many! At the moment it’s Veronica Roth.

Do you see yourself in any of your characters?

Definitely.

Do you feel like your dream has come true or is there much more to do?

Part of my dream has come true. I just need the rest of it to fall into place.

What is your personal cure for procrastination?

Chocolate.

What does your workspace look like?

Oh man, it’s kind of messy. Paper’s everywhere. I’d love to have a nice clean space someday, in a room that has a nice view. I think that would be inspiring.

Have you ever had a day when you just wanted to quit?

All the time!

What do you do when you’re not writing?

Working, wrangling the kids, blogging, reading. Not much housework, that’s for sure, lol.

What are the most important attributes to remaining sane as a writer?

I think Neil Gaiman said it best. It’s a lengthy video, but SOOO worth it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikAb-NYkseI

Did you have a moment when you realised you were meant to be a writer.

The first time I finished a novel. Then I knew I could do it.

What advice would you give to aspiring authors?

See the Neil Gaiman video for one, but also, if you really want it, never give up. And for goodness sake, READ!

After this book, what is next?

I’m working on the sequel, and I’ve got another novel picking away at my brain, itching to be written. After that I’d like to revamp one of my old stories and see if I can do anything with it. 

She can be reached at:
Website: My official site is http://www.dorothydreyer.com/
And my Facebook Fan Page is http://www.facebook.com/AuthorDorothyDreyer
You can also find me on twitter at http://www.twitter.com/DorothyDrey

Go check out her book and drop her a line. I'm sure she'll appreciate it! Good luck Dorothy!
Keep Writing!
Jodie Pierce

No comments:

Post a Comment